Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Stop! In The Name of Love

Time for Saturday 9.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love Saturday 9.  It's music.  I love music.  In this case if A=C and B=C then A+B=Love  Or, stated differently, Stop! In the Name of Love!

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When this song was popular, the Supremes were known for their long gloves and full-length gowns. When was the last time you got dressed up?  Wow, that's almost too painful to think of.  I think the last time I wore gloves was in the 8th grade to my 8th grade dance. The last time I was in a dress was likely 2012 when my father-in-law's induction into the Birdville Athletic Hall of Fame.  I'm not a fan of getting duded up.  Although, not too terribly long ago I wore a flannel over a long sleeved shirt and a pair of jeans and warm, fuzzy boots and one of my children asked me why I was all dressed up.  Clearly, I need to get out more.  And by "out" I mean, out of yoga pants.  If jeans is considered "dressed up," I may need to have my chick card revoked.

2) With a record 12 #1 hits, the Supremes remain America's best-selling vocal group. This must have been hard for Betty McGlown, the fourth Supreme, who left the group before they recorded their first song. Can you think of an opportunity you missed? No. Who wants to focus on regret?  I don't like to look to the past because it's not like I can go back to do anything about it.  I'm not going there.  Keep pressing forward.


Source


3) When "the girls" (Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Flo Ballard) first started hanging around Motown, founder Berry Gordy was reluctant to let them record. After all, they were still in high school. They refused to give up and eventually convinced him to let them add hand claps and finally back up vocals to recordings by other Motown artists. Tell us about a time when your persistence paid off.  I'll tell ya when it happens.  My life is a work in progress at present.  Socially.  Physically.  Emotionally.  Mentally.  Plus, a teenager who is about to drive.  
Source

4) 50 years after its release, "Stop! In the Name of Love" is one of the most popular karaoke songs. Do you know the lyrics?  I know, "Stop... in the name of love.  Before you break my heart, think it oooooooooover."  That's about the extent of it.  I guess that would be a resounding no.  
Source
5) There's a children's playground named in Diana Ross' honor within New York's Central Park. It includes swings, slides, rope bridges and a fountain. When you played in the park, what did you run to first?  The swings... to swing as high as you could with your feet in the air and you could just feel like you were flying.... lean your head back and be free and then.... JUMP!  
Source

6) Diana stumbled in her high heels and broke her ankle as she left the stage after a November 2012 concert. What do you have on your feet right now?  Fuzzy slippers.  Told ya. I'm a professional slacker!

7) Ever the trooper, she honored her commitment to perform at a White House-sponsored Christmas concert just weeks later, even though her leg was still in a cast. Tell us about a time when you "played hurt."  I have an autoimmune disease that has more side effects that have been both completely humbling and excruciatingly painful. I don't play hurt.  I hurt. Some days my joints in my elbows are so painful, I can't rest my arms on the armrest of my car and just bending my fingers to grasp something feels impossible.  Constant migraines have also been something I've learned to push through not because I'm a bad ass but because I have to.  It sucks.  Life goes on.  Some days, I run out of spoons.  Most, I try to press through.  Crohn's.  It is what it is.  Improvise, adapt and move on.




8) Young Diana Ross was a good student and a tough competitor who made her school's swim team. Are you a good swimmer?  I can dog paddle.  I never actually quite grasped the breathing pattern required to do power swimming.  Nor have I ever had the desire TO learn.  I'm not a fan of being in a swim suit, my Casparian skin may blind those in close proximity.  If I had blonde hair, I'd be Elsa!
Source

9) Diana's older sister, Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee, was the first African American woman to be appointed dean of an American medical school. Decades ago, Barbara juggled post-graduate studies and raising small children. Are you good at multi-tasking?  I could easily hold a PhD in multitasking.  I am Batman bitches!



Ready to play along?  Click below.  Join Saturday 9 for weekly fun!

4 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

As one who deals with IBS and migraines, I feel for you. Add the auto immune condition, and that's an awful lot to power through! PS Thank you for the kind words about my blog.

CountryDew said...

A Ph.D. in multitasking sounds impressive. :-)

auntiem4cabs said...

Hahahaha I thought I was the only one who only remember a couple of words from that song!! Sad thing is there was a time, Idk, I think I was 10 or so, that I could sing you EVERY word...WITH motions!! Have a great week!!

Helena said...

lol....simply loved these answers - accompanying pics, too!