Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Lunch was calorie-laden with a side of giggles

I just shared an ordinary lunch with two extraordinary young men. Their names? Josh and Drew. The fact that they're mine makes obviously them awesome to begin with, but the hilarity that ensued over an ordinary lunch (from McDonald's, of course, Drew got to choose today) makes me smile with the fact that I was there to experience it. Not only was I there... I was present...

In the age of distractions, you know: televisions with 1,762 channels; telephones in every room; cell phones in every pocket; smart phones connecting you to the internet; the actual internet from your computer, your laptop, your iPad; how about the old iPod... you get the point. There are plenty of distractions, so the moments when you can unplug and just chill with your little people -- DO IT!

I cherish these small windows of time with my boys when we can just sit and laugh "our heads off" as Drew so eloquently coined our laugh-packed lunch.

What was so funny? Well, the first round of laughs came from the memory of when Josh was learning to do the Charlie Brown (dance) on stage at his school and he kneed himself in the head! Classic! Then we laughed at Drew's random queries such as, "What if a cheerleader was thrown up in the air and got scared and peed her pants?" Then we laughed at me for laughing at myself.

Lunch today was one of those side-splitting, tear-inducing, laugh-until-you-can't-talk, bladder testing, waving your hands in front of your face so it will somehow help you inhale kind of laughter moments.

We needed it. Tomorrow, Josh leaves for Iowa for a little over 3 weeks. I like leaving things on a good note like this, too.

No comments: