Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

WWYWTWST?

Everything now seems to be an acronym so I thought I'd just join the bandwagon. Don't know what that stands for? Read this, I'm sure it'll ring a bell...


Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?

[Chorus:]
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
you the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?

Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Or go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Did you stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I love that song. It's quite poignant for today is the 10 year anniversary for that tragedy that befell America that day. America -- our homeland -- was under attack.

You can't see a tribute without getting a tear in your eye and a pang in your heart... unless you don't have a pulse. It's the very definition of tragic. Terrifying. Horrific.

As a country... we were filled with shock, disbelief, sadness, panic and fear until the anger set in.

As a mother... I wept for those in the planes with their dear children who died such unthinkable deaths... leaving behind families who were ready to watch them grow up and experience all that life -- and America -- has to offer.

As a Christian... I prayed for the families who were seen walking the streets sleepless with posters looking for their missing loved ones. I prayed for our leaders. I prayed for our soldiers. I prayed for those who chose to leap. I prayed for those who burned to death. I prayed.

As a citizen... I felt a sense of patriotism I had never known and I felt as if we definitely needed to make our presence known with a big nuclear explosion and turn some big sand dune into glass.

But most of all, I was numb.

So, where was I when the world stopped turning?

I was sick. I was at the house at 1911 Wendy Street in Irving, Texas. I was asleep in bed with walking pneumonia. I'd been laid off and had no insurance. Joshua was two. He had bronchitis. That's one big expensive doctor bill!

I remember getting a phone call to turn on the television.

I did.... and I spent the entire rest of the day glued to the screen... in disbelief... and watching my innocent son play in the living room knowing that our lives as we know it would be eternally changed from that moment on.

I remember watching the coverage live... I remember seeing the second plane hit the tower. I remember seeing people walking out of the area covered in ash. I remember the reporters not knowing what to say.

I remember the coverage a day later after the towers collapsed when they were searching for firefighters by listening for their beacons.... and you could just hear all the beacons... and they were no where to be found. Their echoes were deafening almost.

I remember all the people lining up to help the wounded... only to not find any.

I remember everyone wanting to help by donating blood to the victims... but there were so few because of all the deaths.

I remember the Red Cross having mass donations and then the controversy surrounding the fact that the families affected were getting nothing. It's never a good idea to just throw money at a problem -- though it seems to be the American way. It's a feel good, "at least I did something" moment of clarity then the unaffected can just go about their life.

I remember seeing the coverage that they wouldn't show any longer -- the people jumping. And while it's almost morbid to see those people up on the towers as they burned jumped... I think it's GOOD to show that so that we remember just how bad that event shook us to the core. So that we don't forget.

I don't think that we will. I mean, how can we? It was 9/11. It was tragic. It will forever be a black-eye in American history.

And, it's because of those types of attacks ... from those types of people... that we need to realize that the whole political agenda and political correctness crap has to fly right out the window. It wasn't a white woman, it wasn't a Mexican grandmother, it wasn't an Asian youth, it wasn't a black teen.... it was a middle eastern Muslim that did this to us... to America.... and unfortunately, that's the way it is. We don't nor will we ever live in a Utopian society where everyone gets along and we hold hands and skip while singing kum-ba-yah.... that's not going to happen.

9/11 could happen again... I pray it doesn't... but we still need to be vigilant about seeking out these Mohammad Muslim extremist a-hole jerks and eradicating them.

So, that's where I was when the world stopped turning. I was sitting in a blue, rocking recliner watching it happen before me.

No comments: