Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

30 Days of Thanksgiving - Day 23

Today is the day after Thanksgiving a.k.a. "Black Friday.  Therefore, this entry is simply my Day 23:  Black Friday Edition.

I'm not going to tell you that I'm thankful for anything today OTHER than the fact that I'm SO GLAD to not be out in this ridiculous, consumerism-filled, greed-soaked, spending frenzy known as "Black Friday." 


Do you realize that this stupid "holiday" was literally the ONE DAY of the year that put retailers back "in the black."  However, there are members of the black community that feel that is a racist term.  Why does ANYTHING affiliated with the word "black" have to be racist?  Have they never taken even remedial accounting?  I don't see the Indian culture (excuse me... let me put on my politically correct pants...) the "Native American" culture getting up in arms when people are talking about "being in the red."  Do you?  If so, let me know so I can flip them the bird and say, "Suck it up, bro!"

When I picture "Black Friday," I picture nothing more than crowded parking lots,  people who have had too little sleep, too much caffeine and are ready to rip your skin off over a $2 towel that they only want because it's $2 instead of $7.  

It's when no one has manners.  No one cares about their fellow man.  It's every man, woman and child for herself.  Where people will grab something right out of your hand if they want it because all's fair in love and war... and Black Friday.  

Mob driven.  

Greed mentality.  

Gluttony.  

Pathetic.  

I want no part of that.

I picture people willing to TRAMPLE their fellow man for a "thing."  In 2008, a Wal-Mart employee WAS actually TRAMPLED TO DEATH... This image (below) is real.  This is... pathetic!  



And, because of Black Friday, do you realize that some people apparently bypass Thanksgiving altogether... opting to do this...



they camp outside their local stores to ensure they're the first in line to get ... STUFF.  They are camping out in their $200 tent... to save $30 on something.  Irony personified.  My time is worth FAR more thank any thing I'd save on waiting in line for two days. Why people don't put price tags on their time floors me.  The holiday has become more about the STUFF than family... and... you know... actually GIVING THANKS.  

So.. now I ask you... Define Necessity



No comments: