Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Anti-Christian and Political Rhetoric

...drives me NUTSO!

I swear at least four to five times a day the past week, I've received e-mail about the new Nicole Kidman movie coming out -- The Golden Compass...

Here is a sample of one of them:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pretty sure I had seen the commercial for it and was wanting to see it. I figured it looked like a good kid movie; but apparently not!

Confirmed by snopes 2007.

A movie to avoid

We need to get the word out about this movie - it is coming out in December - an atheist produced it, it is marketed for children and in the end they kill God.

Send this to everyone you know.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

------------------------------------------------------------------
here is another:
A close friend sent this to me and I checked it out. Please do read this! God bless, Susan


Hello everyone. OK, this is the largest e-mail that I have ever dispersed but I thought it was extremely important. There is a Holy War going on, let’s be PRO-ACTIVE and protect our little ones minds, eyes, and ears!! I’m praying God will intervene and not allow this movie to be released, even so, may we take a vocal and active stand for our God! And may Phillip Pullman’s eyes be opened to the truth! Following is a copy of what was sent to me.

I heard there is an anti-Christian children's movie (written by an atheist, Philip Pullman of England) called The Golden Compass coming out on December 7 (just in time for Christmas). It stars Nicole Kidman, so it will be getting a lot of publicity. Philip despises C.S Lewis and Narnia, and his goal is to "kill GOD in the minds of children". An article written about him labels him "the most dangerous author in Britain!" He has written 3 books that all promote atheism, and the movie depicts his first book (which is the more watered-down of the 3). His goal is that you see the movie and then that your kids want his trilogy for Christmas…and then it REALLY gets offensive in the second 2 books!! But just to give you a tid-bit of what's in Philip's books… a ex-nun calling Christianity a convincing mistake, 2 characters representing Adam & Eve KILL God (called YAHWEH) in the end, and there's a story about castration & female circumcision! I am blown away by this! It will be targeted toward children and advertised as a fun-holiday flick. Don't fall for it! Here is the snopes article about it to back up what I've been saying… http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

PLEASE, PLEASE tell everyone you know and love NOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!! Imagine how our children's little minds would absorb these awful lies! Let's get the word out and fight back!!! Boycott The Golden Compass!!

Let’s never cease to pray for a lost and dying world. I am so thankful God has opened my eyes to His truth. We must pray for others-He loves them as much as me.

-------------------------------------------------------
=======================================================

And in the end, ultimately, here is my response to everyone.... :)

I don’t know, the whole right wing holy-roller group said the same sorts of things about the Harry Potter series of movies and – to me – there is no harm in those movies whatsoever… they're movies about good vs. evil and good prevailing… with a lot of cool special effects, neat accents and awesome wardrobes as well. I used it as a talking tool with my son in the language he understands to discuss what he though it was really about… do we believe in witches and magic and sorcery? Of course not…

I would personally rather SEE the movie and use it as a teaching tool to have an open medium for communication with him about the Father and such… rather than taking someone else’s word for what it is… children don’t see things like we do… and I embrace that and use every moment to be a teaching tool rather than assuming it’s just protecting him… I would LOVE for my son to be one to question EVERYTHING so that he’s not just blindly following what I say because I say it.. I want him to WANT to know the WHYS and WHOs and WHATs of our God and to learn to seek it on his own… and if a movie is the basis for igniting another great conversation (and boy we’ve had some doozies) with him about that…??? I don’t see that as harm… I see it as an incredible teaching opportunity.

I’m not saying anything other than… I am one to challenge everything and make my own decision… and I’m proudly raising my son to do the same. I don’t think we’re doing it “right” anymore than I think someone else is doing it “wrong”… just saying that… you just never know where there may be an opportunity missed because of trying to do the “right thing” and boycotting something just because someone said so… when you haven't even found out for yourself the opportunities that could await from the experience.

And before you even ask yourself -- know this -- Yes, I’m a rebel!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I knew there was a reason I like you! What better gift and skill can we give to our kids than discernment?

Allie Gower said...

We can't wait to see this movie. The kids loved the book.

Pullman has found support from Christians, including Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury. Pullman attacks dogmatism and the use of religion to oppress, not Christianity itself. Perhaps His Dark Materials could be utilized as part of religious education in schools. Pullman has been described as a friendly and generous debating partner.

I find that SOME people are much too quick to shrink away and hide from what might be an excellent source of light, lest they forget that the sun that burns also provides.

Allie G.
scrapncook.blogspot.com