Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Words are powerful

I posted a photo on Instagram and also shared it on Facebook that has prompted several friends to write me.  I think I may be more flattered, however, at the idea that I've inspired someone to help leave their children a legacy moreso than thinking that I deserve any kind of accolades for my idea.  My idea is nothing new.  

Photo: Something I do for my boys... I encourage all moms to do. I keep a little journal by my bed and write in it every few nights ... A little snapshot of their lives through my eyes... Sometimes silly. Sometimes trying times. Sometimes challenges they've faced. Sometimes just a stream-of-consciousness. Writing is very important to me as it helps me give to them a piece of my very soul. #writetoyourkids #journal #memories #doitnow #youwontregretthis

It all stemmed from back-to-school sales that started popping up last summer.  You see, I always love to walk down the aisles when school supplies start appearing on the shelves.  I love the colors.  I love new the smell of a new box of Crayolas.  I love crisp, white paper.  I love the rows of sharpened No. 2 pencils.  But one thing I've always had a soft spot for is journals.  I ***love*** journals.  I always have.  As the years go by it seems they get fancier and fancier.  It was then that an idea just hit me.  So, I purchased three similar journals (one for each kiddo) and started using it as a way to write to them... on a personal level... about their lives... about their challenges... about their interests... about their day.  There is nothing digital... if there's a picture, it's because I drew it.  If there's a compliment, it's because I wrote it.  It's paper, ink, heart and soul.  It's just a conversation between my boys and me.  I'm thinking it will be a gift at some point in their lives.... leaving for college maybe.  I'm not even sure it will ever be a significant thing to them... but it's a little something I can do to let them know just how much they mean to me... through my words.

Words, you see, are very powerful.  Once you say them... you can never take them back.  Words can make you shine like a dime... or they can break the very spirit that guides you.

And another way words speak to me is through music... I absolutely adore this song -- its message -- its words.  Take a listen.  I've included the lyrics below.  



You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody’s lack of love
Or you can start speaking up
Nothing’s gonna hurt you the way that words do
And they settle ‘neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes a shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

Everybody’s been there, everybody’s been stared down
By the enemy
Fallen for the fear and done some disappearing
Bow down to the mighty
Don’t run, stop holding your tongue
Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

Innocence, your history of silence
Won’t do you any good
Did you think it would?
Let your words be anything but empty
Why don’t you tell them the truth?

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you.


That's some pretty powerful stuff there, huh?  I love people that aren't afraid to stand out... to be the change that they want to see in the world... to be brave enough to say the words that need to be spoken... for whatever reason.  Don't keep them in.  Be brave!  Share your words!

I've seen my eldest face this demon head on... and I saw how victorious he was when I wouldn't let him quit and made him face it... to be brave through encouragement.  He has learned words have power... 

Drew hasn't had to face this dragon yet... but the time will come and I hope he, too, is ready to be brave!

Benji... yeah, he's a WHOLE other can of worms... he will throw words at you... just be prepared to catch them.  They usually involve a body part, a bodily function and are followed by maniacal laughter.  

And, you know I have to deal with him on a daily basis.  Thus, I am brave.  

1 comment:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Excellent post on being brave, and being the change you want in the world. My trainer was like that, bless him.

I have another reason for stopping by for a chat. I found how blogger lets you have peekaboo posts.

Go to the "dashboard"- find it by clicking "Design" button- right hand corner of your blog,

from there choose "Settings".

Then "Post and Comments",

Then to "Comment location" There's a little box.

click on the tiny arrow on the edge and the menu pops up.

Choose "Embedded"

That should do it! Have a happy day and weekend!