Pages

Friday, November 11, 2005

Living in the world of walking on eggshells

Have you ever made a off-side comment, trying to evoke a bit of humor from your "audience" only to have it turn completely upside-down, inside-out and backwards? Wow. I pulled a doozy on a friend of mine today and WHACK.... what an impression I made (not!).

So... after you've offered your apologies (even if you can't get a word in) you look back and realize... I really didn't DO anything wrong. It's all with intent and perception. I didn't INTEND to hurt although it was perceived that I did. So am I responsible for hurting someone's feelings when it was obviously not my intention? No. I don't believe anyone should take ownership for something so completely out of their hands. Should they offer apologies for a misunderstanding -- sure. But once words are said and they're out there... they just can't be taken back. Should you have to walk on eggshells and not be yourself for fear of hurting someone's feelings... not only no, but HELL NO! Our friends ARE our friends because WE CHOOSE THEM to be. You're stuck with your family. Your friends, however, you get the fortune of picking! So, misunderstanding or not, friends forgive and forget as they wouldn't be your friend in the first place if they really think you would do something to hurt them. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff man. Just get over it! Think of how small and unimportant a single incident really is in the grand scheme of life. Will it matter in 10 minutes? Perhaps... 10 days? doubtful.... 10 months... probably not.... 10 years... absolutely NOT...

:) More later... just had to vent. Get over it... I am.

No comments: