Pages

Monday, September 11, 2006

Telling Josh the Bad News

I had to break the bad news to Josh today that Boomer was going to be put down tomorrow... he melted into a sea of tears in my arms just asking me if we could keep him two more days...one more day...

I had to try my best to retain my composure because I knew if I lost it we'd just both be big sobbing bags of flesh... I explained to him that it wasn't fair of us... or that it was selfish of us to keep him here when his body jsut couldn't keep up with him anymore... we listened to him wheeze to breathe... he panted even when it wasn't hot. He was obviously uncomfortable.

Josh, through tear filled eyes, asked me if we were ever going to get another dog since I wasn't going to have one anymore...and I said.. no. He said NEVER? I said.. I have no plans on getting another dog. He said... then I'll share my dog with you. It's jsut things like that ... that come out of this young child's mouth that although he may not have it all together... he knows what it's all about. This is just the sweetest, selfless, non-agressive, wonderful child... he's so thoughtful... and that just makes me so proud.

We continued to talk ... about Josh's day, gymnastics, etc. We hugged... he picked at his food... we both pet Boomer. and Josh wanted the dogs to sleep upstairs in his room. I said I'd bring tehm up there at about 10:30 after I could let them out one more time before bedtime... Boomer didn't want to go ANYWHERE... he was comfy and snoring I carried Sadie to his room and she wanted NO PART of sleeping someplace weird.. so I awakened to the thud of a finger on my forehead at 1:30 a.m. to Josh asking me why the dogs weren't in his room. I had to explain all this to him... lol... at 1 freaking 30 in the morning. He got it... and went back to bed... or so I thought, told me he coudln't quietly get the gate open so I got up and helped him (safety gates for drew the nomad) and he slept til morning.

------------------------------------

I guess I should also mention that this is the 5 year anniversary of the World Trade Center bombings in NYC.... I started watching a show about them but was just so upset about boomer I couldnt' even comprehend and was overly emotional about it so I turned it off and went to bed. Do you remember where you were when it happened?

No comments: