Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I love the English language

I know that it's one of the toughest to learn all the weird rules and such but I really, really enjoy it. I enjoy learning new words. I enjoy teaching it so that people understand it and want to speak like they have an IQ greater than their shoe size.

I find nuggets like this just fun and fascinating... it's from www.wikianswers.com I was explaining to Josh how confusing English can be until you understand it and can think it through before you select words you want to use. ....

The word effect means- The aftermath, or something that inevitably follows an event.

The cause and effect of the event...

The word affect means- to impress the mind or to move the feelings of someone or something.

The music affected my feelings...

They are very similar. The heat made the wax melt. The wax was affected by the heat. The heat had an effect on the wax. Affect directly makes a difference, causes the change, and effect can bring about change. Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun and a verb. Also, you can have an affect on people or things, but you can only effect things.

1 comment:

chksngr said...

One of my favorite bits of this horrible thing we call language! Does it confirm geekiness when you love words?