Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's almost time for the food orgy

I'm about as prepped as one can be. I was at Kroger's last night at midnight. And, I tell you, if you have to do any kind of holiday grocery shopping -- THAT is the time to go! There was maybe four customers in the store. FOUR?! It was awesome. I had no wait for anything. There were no rude people leaving buggies in the middle of the entire aisle preventing anyone from passing. It was get what you need and get out! No problems. It was ... about as good as it gets for a grocery shopping trip.

Tomorrow's menu?

Deviled eggs
Jalapeno jelly with cream cheese and crackers

Cajun fried turkey
Spiral sliced, Honeybaked ham
Cornbread stuffing (made by my mom)
Broccoli salad (made by my dad's girlfriend, Roe)
Green bean casserole with crunchy French fried onions
Sweet potato casserole with crunchy pecan brown sugared topping
Buttery mashed potatoes
Creamy green chile corn casserole
Turkey gravy
Homemade orange-cranberry sauce

Yeast rolls

April's world-famous moist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (okay, it's not world famous -- but it could be!)
Pecan pie
Pumpkin cheesecake topped with roasted pecans and caramel sauce

Thanksgiving -- It's a day that you spend a lot of money and even more time preparing a huge meal that sadly takes only a fraction of that time to consume. It's almost a killjoy in that the gluttony is over so soon.

However, Thanksgiving is not in the preparations or the dollars -- it's in the memories, company and traditions that we keep. Andy said tonight it's how you can look back year after year and think about all your favorite dishes that were made by someone who loves you and because they know it's your favorite. It's a sacrifice of time to show something special to those that you love. Thing is -- it doesn't even have to be this elaborate dinner... but it's sure fun when it is!

I'm excited this year to host my family; my father and his girlfriend, Roe; my mom; my father-in-law; my children (Josh is here this year another thing to be thankful for!); and a friend from high school, Sandra, and her son.

As I sit here smelling this glorious scent of the cheesecake baking in the oven, I'm reminded just how blessed I truly am...

There are so many families in turmoil right now with abuse... sickness... unemployment... addiction... mental ailments... aging elderly... cancer... foreclosure... or even worse -- sitting bedside of your terminally ill child... frankly, you name it... there are is so much bad you could wrap your brain around... yet, I'm in a warm home, in comfortable clothes, with a full belly, in a free country where I am an equal. We are healthy. My family is blessed.

I pray that those who are able, pay it forward every chance they get. That one blessing of yours that you share... just imagine how it may exponentially impact an unsuspecting person... it could just be the difference they need to have a little more faith... and to feel blessed themselves.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

No comments: