Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Saturday 9 - Aida


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Aida

1) Have you ever been to the opera?  Yes, and I didn't enjoy it one iota.  I'm not opera material.  I appreciated it, don't get me wrong... but I am definitely not the audience for that type of performance.  I prefer a beat, something you can sing along with... screaming fans... a laid-back environment... I want to be able to have a conversation and not have to sit in silence the entire time.  

2) Maria Callas was often called a "diva." Is that a compliment or a criticism?  I would be inclined to believe that would be a relative and subjective term that could both be used as a type of compliment but ... directed at a different subject COMPLETELY critical.  In calling Maria a "diva," I would believe it were a compliment.

3) Aida was composed by famous Italian Giusseppe Verdi. In addition to opera, what else can the world thank Italy for?  Marco Polo... isn't that like THE first swimming game kids learn?  How about... DaVinci?  He was a multi-faceted individual of many talents... the entire Renaissance can be encapsulated in some of his works.  Brilliant man.  Galileo, of course, who helped pioneer the way for Newton... (and food...but that rather goes without saying!)
 

4) Verdi was Italian and Callas was Greek. Would you rather vacation in Italy or Greece?  Yes.  :)  

I pine for a vacation in Italy.  I would want to visit the truly "touristy" spots.... because you have to just say "I've been there."  Like... Sicily's Valley of the Temples, Cinque Terre, the Colosseum, Pompeii, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Fontana di Trevi (among others)...those are just top on my list.
Cinque Terre    

Greece would beckon me to visit the Parthenon... This area of the world is so rich in history and artifacts.... I truly would geek out at the opportunity to be among such amazing collections.  I would love to be in the presence of the Temple of Poseidon or the Meteora.  I'd walk along the beaches in Crete or visit the Delphi Ruins.... Again... history geek loving adventures... 
  Amoudaki Beach, Damnoni Beach, Island of Crete, Greece 


5) The Marx Bros. starred in A Night at the Opera. What's the funniest movie you have ever seen? I don't really "do" favorites because it's all so subjective based on  personalities... Trying to consider a movie that I have truly laughed out loud on -- I think the list would be small.  In the top 10... Dumb and Dumber.  Yes, I realize that I have probably lost many a great friend at this very moment, but you have to be who you are... and I am a fan of Dumb and Dumber.  The Jerk is another one that truly had me going.  Happy Gilmore with Adam Sandler... and by that train of thought Billy Madison and Waterboy... and Coming to America. I really loved Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan in Rush Hour.  Jim Carrey's antics in Liar, Liar always get me rolling as well.  All that being said, however, it would be impossible to pick a favorite.
       

6) What's for dinner tonight?  Who knows!  It will be a surprise.  

7) Are you wearing any jewelry right now?  Nope.  Rarely,if ever, do I wear jewelry.  Buuuuut... HE does!  Wasn't Mr. T so cool?  

8) Sam Winters has a scratchy throat and watery eyes. How do you treat the common cold?  Personally, I probably only buy extra boxes of Puffs Plus with Vicks.  Addressing your most annoying symptoms is seemingly the only thing you can do to "treat" a cold since they are viral.  

9) Do you need your glasses (or contacts) when you drive?  Nope.  I had LASIK years ago. It's still so creepy to think I let someone LASER MY EYEBALLS!  

1 comment:

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I would love to go to Italy!

Some great movie picks.

Lol love dinner is a surprise