Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

To my children... I promise...

I read a blog post a couple of years ago and had bookmarked it, wanting to really take the time necessary to let the words I read seep into my pores and completely drown me in the love known as motherhood.  I have gone back from time to time to read it because I kept it bookmarked in my VIB file (Very Important Bookmarks).  Those few things that give me much inspiration on days that were most challenging when rearing little ones to take over the world.  Then it occurred to me that keeping this beautiful passage to myself is truly a crime and these words should be shared... from one mother... to me... and to all the other mothers out there.  

dear children,
i promise to never gang up on you.
i promise to never turn you against one another.
i promise to never try to wrongfully influence you.
i promise to always pray for you.
i promise to never give up on you.
i promise to be your biggest fan.
i promise to be there for you at the drop of a hat.
i promise to have grace and forgive easily.
i promise to wait up til you get home, and greet you with a hug.
i promise to hold high expectations because i know you can.
i promise to be easy to talk to.
i promise to nurture your brother-sister bond.
i promise never to make you feel like a burden.
i promise to really listen.
i promise to apologize.
i promise to throw you the best parties ever.
i promise to be nice to your friends.
i promise to help you do the right thing.
i promise to pay attention.
i promise to never label you.
i promise to always have a hug for you.
i promise to never let you go to bed angry.
i promise to give you my best.
i promise to stand up for you.
i promise to always tell you the truth.
i promise to always trust you.
i promise never to take you for granted.
i promise to fight for you, with you.
i promise to support your decisions.
i promise you explanations.
i promise you can always come home.
i promise to keep your baby blankets.
i promise to cherish these moments.
i promise to protect you.
i promise to laugh with you, not at you.
i promise it's okay to cry.
i promise to show you the world.
i promise to take a million pictures.
i promise i won't show the embarrassing ones.
i promise to take care of my business and let you handle yours.
i promise to not burden you.
i promise to respect you.
i promise to not manipulate you.
i promise to love your children and your grandchildren.
i promise to be the mom you want, the mom you need.
i promise to thank God for you.
i promise to hold your hand.
i promise this family is forever.
i promise to love you always. always.

I may laugh, complain, send out various SOS white flags on days when I'm drowning in toddlerhood tantrums, but this is truly the best job -- EVER!  Love my boys!

No comments: