Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Getting to Know Your Friends

Welcome to the 2010 holiday edition of “Getting to Know Your Friends”! You know the drill. Highlight, copy, and paste into your own blog, and change my answers to your answers.


  1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate for sure. However, I can’t say I’ve ever had egg nog. I mean, I am sure I did as a child but it was probably forced upon me. I can’t say that I’d willingly consume anything with “nog” in the title. That doesn’t sound remotely palatable. The very name seems reminiscent of “egg juice” and frankly, that sounds gross. What is a “nog” anyway? Hmm.... to research. I'm back. Ok, according to Wikipedia, it seems that "nog" may stem from the word "noggin" which is a Middle Eastern word used to describe a small, wooden, carved mug used to serve alcohol. I always assumed (and was told) it was made with raw eggs which screamed "EWWW GROSS" to me so I guess that's why I never bought it. However, I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com and have decided that it DOES sound like an extremely indulgent, creamy caloriefest that I must try. Shucks. Here's the yummy recipe. If you make it before I do, let me know how it turns out!

  2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa just sets presents under the tree. There will be no wrapping of the Santa presents.

  3. Colored or white lights on tree/house? Blinking, or not? On the house, I have no lights.... sniff, sniff. We don't have any electrical outlets in the soffets of the house which you really would need in order to be able to HAVE Christmas lights on a house this size. Otherwise, you're stringing too many lights together and those tiny little fuses short out. It's beyond annoying. Next year, we WILL have lights on the house. Period! They will be green and blue lights because I like being different. White is boring. On the Christmas tree I have all white lights but next year, I'd like to have a tree with red and white lights. On the tree, I don't want lights that blink. I want lights that twinkle! I actually have gobs of lights on the tree and some stay on all the time and the rest twinkle. I like variety--what can I say?

  4. When do you put your decorations up? TYPICALLY, as soon as I can get them up after Thanksgiving. It may be that Saturday, Sunday or the next week. This year, I finished the tree TODAY. Hey, there's only so much you can do in a day when you've got a baby!

  5. What is your favorite holiday dish? (excluding dessert) Why can't dessert be my favorite? We've never had anything "traditional" on Christmas Eve or anything so I don't have a favorite holiday dish. Hmmm... wonder what we should do this year. Does everyone else do something traditional?

  6. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? My birthday is 12/20 so this is more of a holiday birthday memory rather than a holiday "Christmas" memory. The first year I lived in Colorado was the first time I was away from my grandma (Mawmaw) for my birthday and Christmas. It was hard and I was really sad. She couldn't travel because of her health. One of my favorite things about her was that every year, no matter what and without fail, she made me a birthday cake and frosted it with homemade icing. It was THE most delicious cake... every time. That was the first year I didn't get a birthday cake from my grandma and I was sad. Then, I got a knock on the door and the most gigantic poinsettia plant with balloons was all I could see between some delivery guy and me. It was from her! The card was something to the effect that... "This isn't a cake but I sure hope it will do." And it was the best gift ever... I really have been missing her a lot this year. I don't know why... but I have been thinking of her at least four to five times a day. If she had such an impact on me... makes me wonder if my dad thinks of her more than that this time of year because it was his mom. Cancer sucks.

  7. When did you learn that there was no Santa? WHAT… WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO SANTA? It's not nice to spread such filth around. Grinch!

  8. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I always let the boys open a gift early each Christmas Eve. It's our annual tradition -- pajamas. Last year was a hoot because Drew opened his gift ... excited to just be opening a gift. When he realized it was clothes he quickly threw the box to the side and thought he picked up the wrong gift to open because surely it should have been a toy! He cried. I was annoyed. He wore them anyway (because I said he had to). I can't wait to see him do the same thing this year. Josh actually "gets it" and has for several years that those ARE the Christmas Eve gift and that's what you're going to get and he's excited about it. I love having him home for Christmas!

  9. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I have one "big" tree that has white lights and ribbons and strands of pearls and gold and crystal garland, covered with burgundy, pearl, clear, glass and gold balls. There are a few other ornaments on that tree that are very special but the bulk of the different kind of ornaments go on the boy's tree. It spins around and has flashing colored lights, silver beads and multi-colored ribbon for garland.

  10. Snow..Love it or Dread it? I'm going to have to echo my friend Elaine's sentiment-LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! :) The more the merrier (as long as I'm not needing anything from the store!)

  11. Can you ice skate? I suppose I still can. I haven't been in years but I doubt I'd have trouble doing it again. ...kind of like a bike I'm guessing. You don't "unlearn" how to do something.

  12. Do you remember your favorite gift? Not really... the memories of sharing time with family is what I really remember the most. I love watching the boys get lost in a sea of paper and ribbons and bows. I love watching them get excited and then having the grandpas there to help with the batteries and such. Watching the kids get excited about Santa's visit is my best gift.

  13. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? The holidays are truly a time to focus on the reason you're celebrating in the first place. Christ is the reason for the season. It's a time to let bygones be bygones and embrace the gift of the present because the present is a gift.

  14. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Oh man... all kinds of stuff! I love making things as simple as sugar/cinnamon roasted pecans to chocolate drizzled pretzel rods to pecan pie or even the birthday cake we make for Jesus. I made my all time, most favorite sugar cookies today for a playgroup and this weekend, we'll make another kind to decorate and share.

  15. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We started a tradition last year where we have the neighbors (and a few friends) over for Christmas eve and everyone just brings a small dish to share for brunch. I have a craft table set up for the kids to do some keepsake and then SANTA COMES! We hire a Santa to come. It's so fun for the kids to get excited about seeing the big guy come.

  16. What tops your tree? At the present time, nothing. I can't find it! Generally, however, it's a bow! I have had an angel but the thought of a tree branch up an angel's gown kinda oogies me out so I think I'd prefer a bow or a star.

  17. Which do you prefer? Giving or Receiving? Giving for sure. I always feel really awkward opening gifts in front of people. I mean, I like getting stuff, but it's always weird to me to open stuff in front of people. Will I have the right reaction? Will it even be the right size? (I know... isn't that horrible of me to be concerned I'll love something and then it won't fit!)

  18. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I just did a post on this the other day. I would like to say that it's probably "Blue Christmas" by Elvis (well, any Elvis song, really) but truly the songs about the Savior's birth move me... sometimes to tears. "Away in a Manger" or "Silent Night" are just beautiful songs that make you think. And, when a piece of music really makes you think it has to be on up there on the ole list. I just love Christmas music, though so, it's hard to pick just one!

  19. Candy Canes..yuck or yummy? Anything minty is yummy for the most part. However, I don't buy any to eat. I like to use them as decor on gingerbread houses, or tied to gifts. I mean, if I have onion breath, I'll be the first one to grab one to kill the odor, but generally I just save them for the kids.

  20. Favorite Christmas Movie or Play? Oh man, again with the favorites! I love Christmas movies! I love Elf (the burp scene just kills me every time!) I also love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Anyone that's ever had a relative pull a "Cousin Eddie" on them can relate -- I assure you! I also love the old traditional stop-action classics like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus is Coming To Town. I love Jingle all the Way with AAAAaaahnold and animated ones like Frosty the Snowman, A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! How can you pick just one?

No comments: