Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Rock N Roll Fridays with Tom Petty

Welcome to Rock N Roll Fridays -- one of my favorite memes! Click the link above to go to the blog's homepage and join us! They take an artist and use the songs to create questions -- fun, fun!

1. AMERICAN GIRL: “Well, she was an American girl Raised on promises
She couldn't help thinkin' That there was a little more to life somewhere else”
Have you ever wanted to live somewhere else? Where?
Of course! Everyone at some point in their lives I would think wants to live somewhere else. Now, getting to is a whole other topic. I've wanted to live in Manhattan in an awesome high-rise near Time Square (and since I'm not a multi-millionaire, I know that won't happen!)

I've wanted to live in the country on a farm... again, I'm a suburbanite -- doubt that will happen either (but I still hope for this one).

I've wanted to live somewhere in Europe but I'd miss my family too much.... I've wanted to live in Colorado again...but I know our roots are planted here in Texas.

2. BREAKDOWN: “Honey, I get the feeling you wont. There is no sense in pretending
Your eyes give you away, Something inside you is feeling like I do…”
Have you caught someone in a lie recently?
Oh I catch Drew in lies constantly -- generally when you ask him why something is someplace that it's not he immediately blames Josh.

For instance, just last night, Ben's sock was off because he was crawling around in the playroom and, well, infants just can't seem to KEEP socks on... but when it's cold, you'd feel quite bad if they had on NO socks so you put on the stupid things only to spend every 11.8 seconds pulling them back up. It's a stupid, maddening thing now that I think about it. I've resorted to putting him in booties -- they work better... but anyway... I digress...

I made the statement, "Ben's missing a sock." The question was then, "Where is Ben's sock?" I looked around and saw it in the floor. "Drew, Ben's sock is there... bring it to me please." And the first thing out of his mouth was, "Josh took it."

Now, I know full well that Josh didn't TAKE Ben's sock. Seriously, it's amazing the immediate accusations that can come out of their mouths. Truth be known that the kid has no problem confessing when he's done something so why the immediate blame game starts up on the mention of .... ANYTHING... it's a little annoying!

3. YOU DON’T KNOW HOW IT FEELS: “People come, people go, Some grow young, some grow cold. I woke up in between, A memory and a dream”
Do you live in the past?

No, that's not healthy. I yearn for different times in the past when I'm feeling nostalgic (like this time of year leaving me thinking of my grandmother) but for the most part, I am in the here and now while planning for the future. No past dwelling here.

4. THE WAITING: “The waiting is the hardest part, Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart, The waiting is the hardest part”
What have you had to wait for?

I've had to wait for lots of things.... flooring in my bedroom. Yes, my bedroom in this beautiful home has had NO FLOOR for over a year and a half now. Now, part of that was my fault because I couldn't decide WHAT I wanted to do...then I thought I did but the carpet I chose was UNGODLY expensive... then Ben made an early arrival... so it's just been a whippin of a thought to have to deal with getting new floors but... still, I HAVE been waiting for them.

I fear I'll be waiting forever to have my ring replaced, too. My beautiful, precious, amazing ring. Sigh. It's gone forever.

I'll be waiting a while to finish school, too. I can do that when the boys are all in school or at least in some kind of daycare. Right now, it's not feasible and I don't want to be selfish... I will have all the time in the world later in life to do that kind of stuff... my boys will NOT be this age forever and I want to cherish all my time with them -- even when I'm thinking they're the cause of the recurring greys in my head!

5. STOP DRAGGIN MY HEART AROUND: “Baby you'll come knocking on my front door
Same old line you used to use before. That's the game, well... what am I supposed to do
I didn't know what I was getting into”
Ever been a sucker?
Unfortunately, yes. I am one of the mindset that people are --generally speaking-- good. I've been burned because of that. Now, I DO follow the rule of "screw me once, shame on you... screw me twice, shame on me" People don't get that second time... not that I don't forgive -- because I do. I just won't ever get in the same position to be duped again. Ever.

6. REFUGEE: “Honey, it don't make no difference to me, Baby, everybodys had to fight to be free…”
Have you ever been in a physical fight with another person?
Just a couple...

Once at a club some chick tried to jump me because her boyfriend wouldn't quit trying to put the moves on me on the dance floor. I threw her over one of the bar tables. Stupid wench.

The second one was also in high school when we would all go cruising on Pioneer. Some intellectually challenged girl from another high school had been saying she was going to beat me up. I didn't even KNOW her. I knew who she was but I didn't know her. I was at a corner crossing the street and she (with a car full of her friends) pulled up. She started running her mouth so I pulled her out of the car by her hair. I tell ya, she shut up REAL quick and her friends took off. They totally bailed on her. Did I teach her a lesson? No... I just actually was able to tell her (due to my friends holding her so she couldn't try to claw me) that she had all her information on WHY she was even RUNNING her mouth ALL JACKED UP. She realized how stupid she was and then we even gave her a ride back to her friends car.

7. LAST DANCE WITH MARY JANE: “Last dance with Mary Jane, One more time to kill the pain, I feel summer creepin' in, And I'm tired of this town again…”
Have you ever tried marijuana or another illegal drug?
You want people to admit that they have used drugs on public blogs? Wow.. brave questioner! I know that my blog may be read by my children at some point and so I (while I have NOTHING to hide) won't just outright answer this because I'd rather they talk to ME about drugs than read it on a blog.

My thoughts on the idea of it all are this....

marijuana grows naturally on the earth. Why it's illegal is BEYOND me because tobacco and alcohol does far more damage to people that a little pot ever could. Does that mean I want my kids consuming this? Of course not. However, if it's the worst thing they ever do in life... I don't feel they'll be damned to Hell.

In high school, I hung out with some of the coolest people and a lot of them DID smoke pot (I didn't) but they did. At a weekend party or get together, they weren't these violent, angry guys that were ready to kick everyone's ass. They were just kicked back and chill.

Now, go to one of the parties with the "popular" or the "jock" crowd where all they did was drink (since that was eventually a LEGAL thing to do) and when you threw alcohol into the picture, they all turned into raging jerks.

So, seriously, would you rather be around a bunch of a-hole jerks or just people that are chill? Yeah, me too. But the "stoners" got the bad rap as being losers... and the "jocks" were the "cool "people... when THEY were the ones that would drink too much and turn into a-holes. It's so odd when you think about it.

Now, that's only my opinion on pot. I just don't see the real issue with it. Personally, I could care less if people smoked pot. Other stuff, however, man... I don't know why anyone would WANT to do that stuff.

There is a website (I think) called "The Faces of Meth" where this guy tracked mug shots of people that were hooked on the stuff and man alive it's scary.

Also, anyone that knows me knows that I'm a complete control freak. I'm also a person that gets loopy on cough syrup. So, the thought of taking some substance of unknown composition and origin and WILLFULLY ingesting or injecting or inhaling it into my body completely freaks me out. And the expense and loss people are willing to take just for something like that is completely mind-boggling.

I wouldn't ever be able to understand addiction. I just don't see how a) anyone would pay for something that you don't know what it is b) do something illegal c) risk your life, family and your worldly possessions for a "high" d) want to be out of control of yourself....

Call me a "goody two shoes" I suppose... but you certainly won't ever be able to call me an addict. The only true addiction I can say I've ever had is Sonic's Route 44 unsweetened peach tea, scrapbooking... or perhaps... rock n roll music!

8. INTO THE GREAT WIDE OPEN: “He met a girl out there with a tattoo too; The future was wide open. They moved into a place they both could afford; He found a night club he could work at the door”
Have you done something on the spur of the moment that worked out fine?
Everyday. When you're a parent your entire life is being able to live in the moment because you never know what is going to be thrown your way... and generally it all works out in the wash.

9. HERE COMES MY GIRL: “Hey, here comes my girl, here comes my girl, Yeah, she looks so right, shes all I need tonight”
What do you need besides your significant other tonight?
My little Benji snuggled up beside me and a big, warm blanket.

10. HARD ON ME: “Maybe if I tried, I could turn the other cheek, Maybe, but how big do I have to be? I need someone To put their arm around me Shelter me from all harm…”
What is the worst thing you have forgiven someone for?
That's between me and that other person. I'm not one to rehash all the bad on a blog... especially at the expense of someone's feelings. If I'm over it... which I am... I've moved on. I will say that YES, I have had to forgive some people that are extremely close to me for some absolutely horrible things... many would consider unforgiveable... but I'm not one to harbor anger or hate because it hurts me more to be bitter and angry and I refuse to give someone that much power over my emotions.

I choose how I respond to a situation. I don't let someone dictate my feelings for me.

11. FREE FALLIN: “She's a good girl, loves her mama, Loves Jesus and America too She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis, Loves horses and her boyfriend too…”
What are 6 things you love or are crazy about?
Blogging, cooking, my boys (all 4 of them), photography, Elvis and music

12. EVEN THE LOSERS: “Baby, even the losers get lucky sometimes, Even the losers keep a little bit of pride. They get lucky sometimes”
Have you ever been a loser?
I sure have. Drew plays a mean game of Candy Land!

13. SHADOW OF A DOUBT: “With that little certain something, she's a complex kid, And she's always been so hard to get around. She always likes to leave me with a shadow of a doubt.”
What is the shadiest advice you have ever been told?
It ties into the whole "forgiveness" question above so I'm not gonna answer this one, either. :)


No comments: