Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday Wickedness with MLK



Hi and welcome to Wednesday Wickedness. We are like other memes in that we will ask you ten questions each and every Wednesday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a famous person and pick ten of their quotes. Each of our questions will be based on the quotes. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!

Today we picked Martin Luther King, Jr. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

1. “A lie cannot live.” When was the last time you felt you were forced to lie? I never feel "forced" to lie. You can lie to protect someone's feelings but you're still CHOOSING to lie. Honestly, I don't lie often, if at all. I don't sugar coat anything -- not even with my kids because I don't want them to feel like life is easy and happy and just a big bowl of cherries all the time. Sometimes it's hard and sometimes it just downright sucks. But, how you choose to react and handle those situations -- even when no one is looking -- is what truly defines you as a person.

2. “A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.” What, besides the lives of your family, would you be willing to die for? Why do you have to die for something to be fit to live? I think that's a load of crap.

3. “A right delayed is a right denied.” Are there rights or freedoms that you’d give up to be safer? I'd give up a lot of rights to be safer. However, there's no guarantee of that safety. I won't give up the right to bear arms and if they try to take it from me, I guess they will be prying my 12 gauge from my cold, dead fingers. Oh wait! I think I just answered my question on #2 Ha ha ha!

4. “All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.” When was the last time that you solved a problem of yours just to create another? I guess when I chose not to attend this coming Blue & Gold banquet (it's not until February 2011), it will cause a problem because the rest of my den will probably want to attend and may feel awkward without me, their den leader, there. I, however, have no intentions of being there.

5. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” What do you have faith in? I have faith in mankind, in general. I have faith in my husband. I have faith in Christ -- I struggle with this a great deal -- but I want to believe and have faith so admitting I do is a way for me to continually believe.

6. “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.” Do you believe things in generally will usually win out? No. I takes action. You can't sit on your ass, do nothing and expect change. To quote another eloquent speaker, "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

7. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” When was the last time that you spoke out to help someone that you didn’t have to? I wrote a letter on behalf of two friends in Scouting who I felt were getting blacklisted because of a whiney woman and an idiot with a vendetta.

8. “It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it.” Do you envision a time where the United States will not be at war? Why? I would love to envision a time when we weren't at war but the price of guaranteeing our freedom is high. Sometimes we have to be where we're not wanted for the sake of keeping us safe here at home.

9. “Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.” Is there anything that you are bitter about that you cannot get over? There is nothing I can't get over... no one and nothing is worth that much energy. EVER.

10. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Do you take chances by speaking up even when it could cost you something? Absolutely. Too many people sit on their asses and think the politicians flapping their jaws are actually going to -- laugh -- follow through on their promises. Nothing will change until people take notice of the small gradual changes that cause mountains of change.

No comments: