Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

This is going to hurt me....

... more than it hurts you.

Parents typically say that when it comes to dishing out corporal punishment. But what about just grounding your kids. Seriously -- it hurts us too.

It does.

Seriously.

Why?

Because we have to listen to them WHINE ALL FRICKIN DAY.

I had asked Drew to do something no less than FIVE TIMES and when I was like... your plans for the day are officially over. He ran upstairs to do what I'd asked him to do.

Then he wonders why he's not going to go get to have a fun day with his Mimi. Well, sorry, because you did it when YOU felt was time doesn't count.

I"m generally an "ask once" "remind politely" and then I'm done kinda mom. Five times. I'm sorry, you're done.

Josh is being punished, too. He's having to learn the social graces of having a cell phone AND having a sleepover. He was texting and calling other friends until after 11pm last night... while having a friend sleep over.

I likened it to, "Do you like to sit and watch someone play a one-person video game for hours one end?"

"No."

"Well, how would you like being at a friend's house to have fun and they sit and fondle their game controller all night while you just sit and be there. Does that sounds like fun?"

"No, ma'am."

"Would you want to go back?"

"No, ma'am."

"When we get back, you will hand over your phone for the week and I hope that you go upstairs and apologize and ask for his forgiveness. You won't be allowed to have your phone for any future sleepover because you haven't shown grace, respect or kindness while having one and a friend present."

"Yes, ma'am."

And so it is... I now have two phones in my possession until next week.

I'm such a mean mom.

BUT, my children WILL learn respect of others and cell phone etiquette. PERIOD.


1 comment:

Brandt! said...

YOU are an awesome mom! Truly!