Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Valentine's Day preparation is under way

I'm currently on the lookout for fun Valentine's Day opportunities to do both at home and in the classroom.

Here at home we're doing a Valentine's Day advent. Yes, my kids LOVE the countdown to anything. Having a little something special to look forward to every day just gives them a happy feeling inside and since it's such a simple thing to do, WHY NOT?!

I'm also room mom for Drew's Kindergarten class so I'm looking for fun activities to do in the classroom and also for the boys to give their teachers.

I, personally, don't like a big hoopla made about me on Valentine's Day (I'm not into the delivery of flowers -- paying $70 for roses doesn't make you sweet, it makes you stupid in my book!) Let's take that $70 and go out to eat at Souper Salad and I'll stop by Costco, pay $12 and get 18 roses and we'll just call it a day! Sound like a plan? Of course!

I don't want chocolates.

I don't want mushy gushy cards that I feel guilty for throwing away so I have to hang onto them for no reason in particular OTHER than I just feel guilty for tossing them.

I just want to cook a good meal and be surrounded by those that I love.

So, that's exactly what I'm doing. Being the social coordinator of a household means you get the final veto on lots of things. Yes, my position definitely has its perks!

This year we're having COMFORT food. Comfort food spells love in my book! Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits and something equally yummy and divine for dessert! That's love. Now, I don't like chocolate but I WILL make it because my boys DO. Now, my friends, THAT is love! That's how I show my love every day and that's how I want to show my love on Valentine's day, too.

I'll share our advent in a day or so.

1 comment:

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

We're going to have chocolate fondue as a family for Valentine's Day. My mom works in a flower shop. $95 for a dozen roses there. Sheesh!