Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Main Event

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: The Main Event (1979)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This is the theme from a romantic comedy set against the backdrop of boxing. Sam admits she's not crazy about boxing. What about you? Do you enjoy boxing, martial arts or wrestling?  I'm not real crazy about anything that is based around one human trying to pummel another.  Boxing... makes me sad.  Tyson ruined that for everyone because... ya know... if you're getting beaten, just bite an ear!  MMA is just beastly.  Wrestling... you're kidding, right?  You see, I grew up in the era of the VonErich clan.  And I know THAT was real (insert eye roll).  Even the non-cheese-laden wrestling bores me, however.  
Photo source
2) If you went to a dance club on a Saturday night in 1979 or 1980, you might well have danced to this. What are your plans for this Saturday night?  Sleep.  I'm truly exciting.

3) Gilda Radner was one of the original Saturday Night Live performers and in 1979, she parlayed her TV popularity into her own one-woman show on Broadway. Who is your alltime favorite SNL cast member?  Yee gads I hate choosing favorites!  I'm from an era of FANTASTIC actors on SNL.  The crap they come up with now -- I can't even watch. You can't put Steve Martin, Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase, Martin Short, Billy Crystal, Bill Murray, Al Franken.... I mean.... they're comedy GOLD.  I will admit that I love Jimmy Fallon.  I love Will Ferrell in Elf.  Chris Rock and Chris Farley... David Spade... Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey were okay... but I just love the SNL cast of yonder year.  I don't even know any of the cast members now so they don't count.


Photo Source


And who couldn't laugh at this?  Source
4) Sally Little and Nancy Lopez were at the top of the LPGA in 1979. Do you golf?  I'll drive a cart but no, I find no enjoyment in taking a long narrow stick and trying to accuratly whack a ball the size a jumbo Gobstopper into a hole 10,000 miles away and being excited about that... in any way shape or form whatsoever.

5) The movie The Main Event co-starred Ryan O'Neal. He is better known for Love Story, and saying the line, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." When did you last apologize?  I apologized to Benji tonight for not having a washcloth ready for him to blot his eyes as I poured water upon his head so that I could wash the shampoo out.  Such a bad mom.  

6) O'Neal got his big break on the nighttime soap opera, Peyton Place. He played Rodney Harrington, the handsome golden boy that all the girls dreamed of dating. Tell us about your big high school crush.  My big high school crush turned into my big high school boyfriend.  I say "big" because the dude was like over 6'3"tall.  I'm a mere 5'2" with shoes on.  He ultimately met his future bride after we broke up and they're happily together after all these years!  It's so cool to see things play out that way.

7) In researching this week's Saturday 9, Sam discovered that The Main Event is a popular name for sports bars all across the country. Do you enjoy sitting at the bar or do you look for a booth or table?  I would prefer sitting at the bar where you can engage in conversation with people.  I feel more shut off sitting at a booth.

8) The Mane Event was the salon Sam went to for years. She switched when it got too hard to get Saturday appointments. As a consumer, what's more important to you -- convenience or price?  Yes.  I'll definitely pay more for convenience, but there is a price threshold that I"m not willing to level up.

9) More than 50 years after her first million-selling album, Streisand recently had a #1 hit with her current CD, Partners. What's the last song you bought/downloaded?  I downloaded a song by Blake Shelton called Doin' What She Likes.





5 comments:

Jodi said...

Sleep sounds good too! I have been staying up way to late, so I need to try and catch up on some Zzzzz's. Have a great weekend!

Kwizgiver said...

I chose the original SNL cast, too, I just couldn't choose just one.

Diana_CT said...

I'm with you on your answer to #1. I don't see why people want to beat one another up for sport.

CountryDew said...

Nothing like the old SNL. They don't make it like that any more.

I am Harriet said...

I love that Farley down by the river thing.