Saturday, June 8, 2013
Saturday 9 - Sweet Caroline
Saturday 9: Sweet Caroline
The idea for this came from Harriet, who suggested the baseball theme.
1) "Sweet Caroline" has been sung during every Boston Red Sox home game since the 1990s. Do you know the words well enough to sing along? Doesn't EVERYONE? It's kind of not American to NOT know the words.
2) Do you have a favorite major league baseball team? Not really, but I'm Texan and live in the DFW area so, naturally, I root for my Texas Rangers. But I don't cry when they lose. I don't gloat when they win. It's just baseball.
3) Budweiser is the "official beer of major league baseball." Do you reach for a cold beer on a hot summer day? Nope. I reach for ice cold water.
4) Every season, more than a million Vienna Beef Hot Dogs are consumed by baseball fans at Chicago's Wrigley Field. When you get a hot dog, what do you put on it? On the rare occasion I indulge, it will have mustard and sweet relish.
5) The odds of a fan in the stands being hit by a baseball are 300,000 to 1. The odds of winning the lottery are (approximately) 1 in 12,000,000. Do you play the lottery? Nope. Sure don't.
6) Though his song has been adopted by faithful Boston Red Sox fans, Neil Diamond was born and raised in New York City. Have you ever visited The Big Apple? Yes. I love it. It's insane. It's diverse. It's eclectic. It's busy.
7) Baseball players are notoriously superstitious. For example, the Cubs' Matt Garza eats Popeye's fried chicken every day that he pitches. Joltin' Joe DiMaggio touched second base with his foot every time he ran on or off the field. Do you have any superstitions? No. Boring, huh?
8) A ball signed by Babe Ruth can fetch tens of thousands of dollars at auction. Have you ever asked a celebrity for his/her autograph? When I was younger, I'm sure I did. Do I remember or even still have them? Nope.
9) Baseball means summer and summer means sun. Are you working on a tan, or do you slather on the sunscreen? I hate sunscreen. It's sticky, soppy, and makes you glisten like a fat man in a sauna. However, I'm a whitie. As in, I have a moon tan...workin' on my Casper glow... I don't tan... so I prefer to somehow be in the shelter of the shade.
at 6:00 PM