Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Rock 'n Roll Fridays with Billy Joel


Hi I'm DJ KathyA! Welcome to Rock 'n Roll Fridays. We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their lyrics. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!

Today we picked Billy Joel. The song's lyrics are in bold.

1. PIANO MAN… “Sing us a song, you're the piano man, Sing us a song tonight. Well, we're all in the mood for a melody, And you've got us feelin' alright”
What is your favorite Karaoke song to sing with? Wow, I haven't sung karaoke in years... I've done everything from The Judds to Shania Twain to stupid sing along rock songs. I don't have a favorite, though.

2. CAPTAIN JACK… "Saturday night and you're still hangin' around, Tired of livin' in your one-horse town. Like to find a little hole in the ground, For a while”
If you grew up in a one-horse town, are you still there, or did you try living somewhere else? I grew up in a two-horse town. Ha! In all seriousness, I grew up in Irving, Texas. It was an older town then and since has had its share of hard times. The town is being overrun by illegal immigrants and unless you speak Spanish, you really can't communicate with anyone. It's just pathetic what it's become. I left there and went to another suburb nearby but ultimately have moved away and have no plan to ever return. I just don't like what it's become.

3. NEW YORK STATE OF MIND…"It comes down to reality-and it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide, Don't care if it's Chinatown or Riverside, I don't have any reasons, I've left them all behind- I'm in a New York state of mind.”
What is your favorite New York food? Man... I love New York! I LOVE IT! I love the food in Little Italy! I love the food in Chinatown. I love the street dog vendors. I love Ruth Chris' Steakhouse. I loved Tavern on the Green. I love the giant pizza slices that you fold to eat.

4. SHE’S ALWAYS A WOMAN TO ME… "But she'll bring out the best And the worst you can be, Blame it all on yourself, Cause she's always a woman to me”
Has someone else ever brought out the best or worse in you? Of course... my ex brought out the very worst in me...and that is why he is my ex. My children bring out the best in me (most of the time). I'm a realist, live isn't peachy 100% of the time.

5. MOVIN OUT… "Workin' too hard can give you a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack, You oughta know by now. Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that what you get for your money?”
What is the most annoying line from a song lyric of all time? Have you got a few months? There are tons of them. Alan Jackson sings some pretty stupid songs... That ridiculous MMM MMM MMM song or the song about the diner with "doo doo doo doo" by Jane Weidlan I think. Or Mr. Roboto by Styx.. ANYTHING from Rush -- their 15 minute songs annoy me to no end. I've Got Friends in Low Places by Garth or anything sung by Reba is a bad lyric (her voice makes me want to claw my eyes out).

6. ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG… "They say there's a heaven for those who will wait. Some say it's better but I say it ain't. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints …Sinners are much more fun...”
What would heaven be like for you? A shopping mall? A forest? Mansion? Do tell… You know, I think about this often... because it seems really ridiculous sometimes to imagine a "Heaven" ... it leaves me questioning faith and belief at times... because everyone's idea of heaven is different... so what's to say anyone's idea is wrong. Is it all peaceful, white and in the sky or is it just nothingness... So to think about just a place (currently) as being my "heaven" on earth... I believe in a cabin, in the mountains in Colorado -- perhaps Estes Park near a natural forest with my boys (all of them...the big one, too, of course) and my four legged kids.

7. JUST THE WAY YOU ARE… "Don't go trying some new fashion, Don't change the color of your hair. You always have my unspoken passion, Although I might not seem to care…”
Have you ever changed something about yourself to please somebody else? Yes, and doing so is WRONG WRONG WRONG. NEVER change who you are to suit ANYONE UNLESS... you have some like ... self-destructive habits, then THAT you should change... but otherwise, don't be something you're not becuase you'll regret it, blame that person and there will be that between you forever.

8. STILL ROCK N ROLL TO ME… "Should I try to be a straight `A' student?
If you are then you think too much. Don't you know about the new fashion honey? All you need are looks and a whole lotta money. It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways , it's still rock and roll to me…”

What besides “looks and a whole lotta money” would you require in a mate? loyalty, humor, strong, sensitive, manly, love, smell good, honest, trustworthy, ethical, moral, kind, compassionate, caring....

9. YOU MAY BE RIGHT… "You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for…”
Do you like bad boys (girls) or good boys (girls)? I think everyone has a side of them for the taboo of the "bad boy" but at the end of the day... is that the kind of person you'd be most happy with? Probably not.

10. WE DIDN’T START THE FIRE… “Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide, Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz, Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law, Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore”
List 13 things for a Billy Joel verse in this aggravating song… Fannie Maye, income tax, bail out, oil spills, stock market, terrorism, cancer, global warming, double standards, genocide in Sudan, Mexico's drug cartel, bankrupt USA, carbon footprints

11. TELL HER ABOUT IT… "Tell her about it. Tell her all your crazy dreams. Let her know you need her, Let her know how much she means…”
Have you told your significant other or dearest family member recently how much
they mean to you? I try to every day.

12. UPTOWN GIRL… “I’m in love with an uptown girl, She's been living in her white bread world. As long as anyone with hot blood can, And now she's looking for a downtown man. That's what I am…”
Have you dated someone above or below your “level”? (richer or poorer). Did you feel comfortable with them? Yes and yes. I'm quite comfortable with anyone who is their "real" genuine self. Money only gets you better steak --doesn't make you a better person or more desirable to be with. On the other hand, if you think you're "above" my level, you're sadly mistaken... if that's the case, I wouldn't give that kind of individual the time of day.

13. THE LONGEST TIME… “Who knows how much further we'll go on. Maybe I'll be sorry when you're gone. I'll take my chances, I forgot how nice romance is, I haven't been there for the longest time”
What is the longest you have gone without a love relationship? Who really keeps track of that kind of time? Probably 10 years (since I was 10 when I had my first "boyfriend") bwa ha ha ha ha. Michael Bates in 4th grade. "Will you go with me?"

1 comment:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I loved all your responses! My mother insisted that my oldest daughter who was the 14, had to experience Tavern on the Green in NYC. My daughter still talks about it. And she's 35 with kids of her own now!