Saturday 9: In the Wee Small Hours
1) Crazy Sam's mom and dad still talk about how exciting it was to see Sinatra in Vegas! What music did/do your parents enjoy? When I was younger, my mom was a country fan. I'm not so sure what she listens to anymore. I know, at times, she goes through pop music fads. When Tubthumper came out, I think she wore that song OUT! I know, too, she likes Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason." What her day-to-day preference is, however, I really don't know.
I have no idea what my dad listens to. Contemporary Christian? He's so laid back I'm not sure he'd even notice if the radio was on or not!
2) We all know Sinatra sang, and he won an Oscar for his acting. But he also painted and was proud to sell a few canvasses anonymously (signed "Artanis"). Do you have a secret talent?
Yes, I'm a caped crusader against evil. I'm ... Bat-Mom!
Seriously, however, my talents are no secret. Why hide them?
Oh wait, I can put on lipstick without using my hands... a la Breakfast Club. (Just kidding! But I'll tape all your buns together!)
3) Those close to Sinatra maintained that every time he sang,"In the Wee Small Hours" (hear him perform it live here) he conjured up how it felt to lose his great love. Have you ever had your heart broken?
4) In 1966, when he was 50, Sinatra married 21 year old Mia Farrow. Their union lasted less than two years. Do you think a wide age gap necessarily dooms a romantic relationship?
Dooms, no. I don't, however, see what a 50 year old and a 21 year old would EVER have in common. I can guarantee you that at 50, I will have ZERO desire to go out and do what typical 21 year-olds do.
I mean... I'm SURE it's TRUE LOVE that brought THESE TWO together, right? Barf!
5) Offstage Sinatra wore orange sweaters and liked seeing orange throw pillows in his home and dressing room because he believed "orange is the happiest color." What color raises your spirits?
Black. Ha! Seriously though, I don't have any kind of mood-altering colors. I don't need a color to allegedly raise my spirits... if that's even possible.
Colored PENS make me happy. I love having colorful pens to write with. I don't have a preference of one over the other, however. I just like to be able to have variety.
6) Frank and his loyal buddies were famously known as "The Rat Pack." How many people do you consider close friends?
Close friends... I probably have 10-15 friends that I would consider CLOSE friends... meaning if I called them in the middle of the night and needed them, they'd be here in a heartbeat without asking questions. My friends have been there...
whenever...wherever... and most importantly, forever!
7) Sinatra's children followed their father into show business. What advice would you give a young person entering your career of choice?
Find your passion...and follow it. If it doesn't pay the bills, find something you're good at and keep pursuing it as a hobby. Ultimately, do something you love... and do it to the best of your abilities EVERY DAY. This (below) totally sounds like something I'd tell my kids. Yes, I keep it VERY real in this house!
8) Legend has it that Frank was embarrassed by a scar on his face (received at birth from the forceps used in his delivery) and worked hard to cover it. Do you have a physical characteristic that you try to hide?
I have a tooth that I had a root canal on about 16-17 years ago. It's not the same shade as the rest of my teeth. I'd like to have it ... lightened or something but the thought of having my teeth whitened at a dental office (and knowing how painful that is just from using the bleaching strips at home) leads me to believe I may need to find another alternative. I don't, however, try to "hide" it (because I can't)...but I do tend to stand on a different side of people when taking pictures so that it's not front and center. This year is when I'm getting them (it) fixed, however...and I'll be all like..
9) In 1964, when he first heard The Beatles, Sinatra was very dismissive. By 1970, he called the Beatles' "Something" one of the most beautiful ballads ever. Tell us about something you changed your mind about.
Going back to school... law degree... and it is likely that I'll change my mind again in a year or so.